Good morning! We’re back in your inbox with the most important events happening in New London today. This issue of the newsletter includes updates on:
- Unionized workers at New London’s State Pier go on strike over job outsourcing.
- The beloved Carter, a people person and not a politician, is running for mayor of New London.
- New London welcomes a new regional innovation center for startups.
First, your local weather:
- SATURDAY: Clear in the morning, partly cloudy in the afternoon, clear in the evening, fog at night. High: 72 Low: 55.
- Sunday: Partly cloudy for the morning, light rain in the afternoon, clear overnight. High: 55 Low: 50.
- Monday: Light drizzle in the morning, possible scattered rain in the afternoon, light rain overnight. High: 54 Low: 45.
New London in the news:
- ILA workers at State Pier protest: Union workers at the State Pier in New London staged a walkout. Members of the International Longshore Association say their jobs are being outsourced to other unions, sparking protests and rallies. (wfsb.com)
- “I’m not a politician, but a people person,” Carter, New London mayoral candidate: Beloved Carter, Republican candidate for mayor of New London, shares her vision for the city, highlighting her commitment to community service, education and fair housing. (ctexaminator.com)
- An innovation center for startups sets up in New London: A new regional innovation center, intended to encourage start-up businesses, has been created in New London, supported by the Eastern Connecticut Chamber of Commerce. (wshu.org)
- Treasure Chest Thursday – 1864 death record of Amy Frances (Oatley) White (1826-1864) in Norwich, Connecticut: This article looks at the 1864 death record of Amy Frances (Oatley) White in Norwich, Connecticut. It explores his life, his family and the mystery surrounding his death in Norwich, despite the fact that his family resides in East Killingly. (geneamusings.com)
Events to come:
Featured on the patch:
Friday October 27
- Critical Mass Halloween Tour at the New London Municipal Parking Lot, corner of Eugene O’Neill Drive and Golden Street, New London, CT (6 p.m.)
- Gothic Ball 2023 at Social Bar + Kitchen, 208 Bank St, New London, CT, 06320 (8 p.m.)
Saturday October 28
- Introduction to stained glass: let’s make feathers! 28/10 at Spark Makerspace, 7 Union St, New London, CT, 06320 (10 hours)
- 14th Annual Family Halloween Festival at Mitchell College, 437 Pequot Ave, New London, CT, 06320 (10 hours)
- New Halloween festivities in London — The village of… in downtown New London Business (3 p.m.)
- Travis Hyll in concert at Blue Duck Bar & Kitchen at Blue Duck Bar & Kitchen (6 p.m.)
- Sanderson Sisters Spellbinding Spooktacular Live… at the Stonington Community Center (COMO) (7 p.m.)
- Open the draw @ Spark at Spark Makerspace, 7 Union St, New London, CT, 06320 (3 p.m.)
Sunday October 29
- Intermediate stained glass class: “Oh my stars! » 29/10 at Spark Makerspace, 7 Union St, New London, CT, 06320 (10 hours)
- AEW Collision: Uncasville AEW All Elite Wrestling at Mohegan Sun Arena (4:30 p.m.)
- Jethro Tull – The Seven Decades at Mohegan Sun Arena (7:30 p.m.)
Thursday November 2
- Open the mic! at 79 Bank St, New London, CT, 06320 (5 p.m.)
Saturday November 4
- SALT 2023 Conference: Planting trees today for a greener future! at the Connecticut College Arboretum, 270 Mohegan Ave Pkwy, New London, CT, 06320 (10 hours)
Note: Please check event details with the organizers. Click on an event’s start time to find out more.
New chatter in London:
Here’s what your neighbors and local leaders are talking about.
- US Coast Guard Academy: “Cadets on the ground! 🚤 Cadets 1/c Barbee, 1/c Higel and 1/c Ratliff headed to the waterfront earlier today to set sail on their autonomous watercraft. The goal? Make the vehicle steer itself through a series of red and green…” (Facebook)
- New London Police Department: “An incredible moment on New London High School’s multi-magnet campus this morning (10/25/23) during their College, Career & Workforce Day event. Members of the New London Police Department and Fire Department from New London interacted and shared a conversation with some…” (Facebook)
- New London Naval Submarine Base: “The SUBASE Chaplain Center is hosting its annual Adopt-a-Sailor program for the Thanksgiving holiday! Families interested in hosting Sailors for the holidays can contact the SUBASE Chaplain Center at (860)-694-3232. Sailors who would like… “(Facebook)
You are now aware of today’s day. See you soon!
— Chris Rhatigan
About me: Chris Rhatigan is a reporter for Connecticut Patch and Massachusetts Patch. He previously worked for publications including The New Haven Register and The Iowa City Press-Citizen.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming New London, CT Patch newsletter? contact me at email@example.com